Although Cornerstone Christian Academy is already seeing scores on nationally standardized tests that are on the high end of the range of performance exhibited by many of our great local public schools, our dedicated faculty is focused on reaching our goals for excellence in academics. These goals, set by our Board of Directors, will see 30% or more of our students scoring in the top 23rd percentile of nationally standardized tests while 70% of the remaining students are supported in such a way that they see at least 10% year-over-year growth in their own percentile rank performance.
We strive toward these goals in support of our students, and not at the expense of our students, through the use of formative and summative assessments, benchmark testing, and annual nationally standardized tests as well as the evaluation of the daily work produced by each student. We focus on individual student support as we work toward the student’s achievement. In an effort to maximize the partnership between parents, staff, and students, each teacher has documented classroom expectations as well as what students and parents can expect from them. Each Upper School course has a syllabus to guide instruction and expectations for the course.
Many of our students are making the optional and personal choice to MASTER the material they are presented with. This is an ongoing framework that extends beyond homework and the official school calendar. We call it “5 Steps to Content Mastery.” Students may ask for this additional support from our faculty, their parents, and staff to help them access material in a way that demonstrates Mastery. Below are the 5 Steps.
- Pre-read the material before coming to class (this should take no more than 10 minutes per section).
- Take good notes (we will provide rubrics and training for students on how to take good notes).
- Re-read the material for understanding using notes, texts, and resources provided (this should take about 15-20 mins).
- Do the homework as if it were a quiz (this is a strategy to find the areas where a student has mastered content and areas to focus on further study).
- Re-read to fill in gaps (this should take no more than 10 minutes per section).
All of the above mentioned documents are available for download on the Lower School and Upper School pages. PLEASE NOTE: Our website contains the latest versions of each document. To avoid confusion, it is important that you check the version of your printed material to ensure that it matches with the website version.